Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Motionpicture Diaries...

Whole of my Yesterday passed out with the thoughts of Christopher Nolan's masterpiece "Memento" drooling around my mind regarding the plot of the movie. Ufff,it really flew me outta roof.My sincere salutes to Nolan, definitely "What an Idea Sirjee...!!!" kinda movie.

I had unloaded it from the torrents to my hard drive quite a while back but just couldn't find a driving force to run it on my media player until yesterday.I admire(unfortunately)the (re-)makers of "Ghajini" for making such a cheap carbon copy and selling it as an Indian version of "Memento" and subsequently earning 200 crores gross in a week!! Holy shit...Must be a great marketing strategy.I have seen the Tamil version of it and to be frank it was ok but after yesterday,I am no fan of it.Definitely these indigenous avtaars are not even close to the worsts among Hollywood flicks.Those which are good goes unrecognized:( After so much of bad reviews pertaining around the Hindi version of "Memento" I just couldn't pick a ticket to it though believe me I am one of the biggest fan of Aamir Khan. I still wonder why such a versatile actor like him tried his hands in such a cheap commercial flick.Hope he isn't hit by a SRK-mania of doing such 3rd rate commercial movies where even protagonist's wife cannot identify him without mustache,heights of sickness,aint it!? And unfortunately Rab Ne..(from where did Aditya chopra find such a pathetic name is still a mystery;) ) was one of biggest gross collectors in 2008.Why are Indian audience so headless? Until and unless we reprimand them with flops they will keep coming up with such mindless movies.

Speaking of good movies and since Oscars are round the corner, David Fincher's "Curious case of Benjamin Button" is another one of its kind Movie.Brilliant conceptually and extraordinary show put up by Brad Pitt will definitely cast my vote to "Curious case.." ahead of "Slumdog..." for the best Movie,Actor and Director category. Brilliant concepts must always be admired and rewarded.Fincher,Chris Nolan,Coppala,Tarantino,Scorsese are all known for their brilliant out of box flicks which is bound to keep you at the edge.Indigenous cases,I would like to see still more better plays from Anurag Kashyap,Gowarikar or Rakeysh Mehra who have all the abilities and potentials to tackle it.

On an end note, I am eagerly anticipating Rakeysh Mehra's "Delhi-6" which sniffs the flavors of RDB to its viewers and all my best wishes to "Mozart of Madras" ARR for the Academy Award Statuette.

4 comments:

quirkygirl said...

Rab ne.. was such a disastrous movie and yet people watched it and it raked in those crores because of the appeal that Shah Rukh has. Like this dialog in Luck by chance, this is an industry where content is not the king! It is the hero that is the property!
But we can hope for some day soon where we can see more story-tellers of the likes of Mani Ratnam and Rakeysh Mehra. And i too am waiting for Dilli 6 to release! Am sure it will be worth the wait.

Fabulist said...

A non-political subject..Alas! I was awaiting a blog for long from your end...:)
I watched the Tamil version quite lazily, it left an uneasiness[of something incomplete]somewhere in me. Then I watched the English Version. I loved the way the camera puts the audience through the protagonists cranial condition, feels like suffering from Amnesia myself. Then I watched the Hindi version, that cleared the uneasiness. I left the cinema hall contented.
Talking about Indianised version of a Hollywood flick, thats how most Indians will be able to digest it. Of the 10 people I shared the English version, 6 could'nt get the whole concept of the movie or the story[within the so claiming English Movie watching crowd]. So did that they could not put the pieces together for 'Seven Pounds'[awesome story]. There is a long list of such made for Indian Audience films from Hollywood that will touch the Sun. Like, Mrs Doubtfire = Chachi 420, E.T = Koi Mil Gaya, Harry Met Sally = Hum Tum, I now pronounce Chuck and Larry = Dostana, Unfaithful = Murder, Derailed = The Train, etc,. Bollywood is so run out of stories that only music and item numbers makes money for these flicks.
I'm so with you on "Rab Ne.." utter stupidity. I stopped the movie as soon as I "could'nt" make SRK out without the mush.
Hollywood works well with new concepts and ideas, thats where film making, gives way to imagination and creativity and not just business alone. 'Benjamin Button' as an idea itself is curious for the audience, the movie beats the expectation. Though 'Changeling' is a simple idea it still kept me engaged as it painted frames.
I'm counting on Delhi-6 too for Rakyesh Om Prakash and ARR. Anurag Kashyap's 'Dev D' is also in the talks for being a very well handled modern version of the classic Devdas. I'm kind of getting a hunch on Gowarikar's next flick might be a let down as it stars Harman and Priyanka.[Still a hunch...]

BHARAT said...

@Aparna(quirkygirl)
Shah Rukh is a disaster by himself. OSO,Rab Ne and now Billu!! 3 back to back mindless flicks,cut the crap.I cant imagine SRK in Mohan Bhargav kinda protagonist again.

BHARAT said...

@Fabulist
I am on cloud nine from your blessings(literally ;))

Bull's eye, even i felt amnesic after watching the movie, seriously. "Memento" really keeps you glued to your seats.After 2-3 forward-rewind cycles and a bit of analysis,your mind gets blessed with the clarity of the plot.And your surveying suggests,only blessed get back on bliss after the movie, nice to know we are among those elites;)

And regarding the lethal culture of carbon copying in Bollywood, I cant see any change in culture unless we ourselves chide them with big time flops.

Well I am on queue for "Dev D" but not able to find its torrent:( Now picking your words,let me download "seven pounds":)